Blue Skies Equine Veterinary Services is proud to offer our clients many different imaging capabilities, all of which are portable for use in the field. Our practice is equipped with:
- Digital Radiography (X-rays) which is used for evaluating bones, joints, and bone alignment inside of a horse’s hooves. Our wireless unit instantly produces detailed digital x-rays right at your horse’s side.
- Ultrasound is most commonly used to evaluate tendon and ligament injuries, but ultrasound can also be used to exam other structures such as a horse’s lungs and abdominal organs.
- Reproductive ultrasound is used for tracking a mare’s estrous cycle and then confirming and monitoring pregnancy.
- Endoscopy is a nonsurgical procedure in which a thin flexible tube with a light and camera is used to evaluate structures such as the nasal passages, throat, and upper airway.
- Gastroscopy: It is estimated that around 60% of domestic horses have gastric (stomach) ulcerations and in some studies the percentage of performance horses with gastric ulcers was as high as 90%. The only way to definitively diagnose gastric ulcers is with an endoscope long enough to reach the stomach, and Blue Skies Equine is proud to now offer this service. Not only is gastroscopy needed to diagnose ulcers, but it is also crucial for determining the severity of the ulcers which will then guide treatment.